Puerto Plata Stories and Tips

Returning to Santo Domingo by road!

We leave the hotel, and in town it was interesting to see election posters for candidates I used to know well before. We soon start driving towards Santo Domingo, and I realise that even though it feels as if I had been there for weeks, it hasn’t even been 48 hours yet! I noticed the look of the highway has changed, and I think how different it is that it doesn't go so close to dwellings anymore, as well as avoiding little villages on the way, which was a pity, in a way, I thought.

We soon arrive in the city, and I notice how much it has changed, and it is almost unrecognisable in parts. In the evening, Susie and I go to a huge supermarket near her home to get some supplies and to the bank (7pm) to get some money. I notice the supermarket is plagued by trolley traffic jams inside. I count the number of cashiers, and they have 45, with four people working on each! Part of the problem might be the pin-code reading machines, as most of the time they don’t work and cashiers need to type the code themselves. I also count the number of shopping bags, and the two of us got 20. For dinner we had pan de agua with tomato, cheese, and avocado, all a treat for me. There was an earthquake close to midnight, but, as I haven't had much experience with earthquakes lately, I thought it was just my bed moving!

On the way back, I discover that Puerto Plata was an area affected by the earthquake and even the airport had some damage. We look for news of yesterday’s earthquake in the local papers on Internet, but find nothing, only in the Miami Herald. I spend a few days in Santo Domingo visiting friends and Ariel volunteers to bring me back to the Puerto Plata airport. On the way, we stop at a Cibao restaurant and enjoy having what I cant have anywhere else, a typical Chivo con Yuca (goat with yucca), which we drank with some beer and I found delicious.