United States Stories and Tips

Four Days Around Albuquerque

Kayaking on the Rio Grande Photo, New Mexico, United States

I had a four-day break in my driving, taking it easy in Albuquerque with friends.

One day we took a day trip to Taos. First we stopped at Santa Fe and grabbed some takeout food, then stopped at a road pullout called Camel Rock to eat it at a picnic table. The rock is beautiful; we walked up to it on a short path. The rest area is pretty trashed out and it was windy, so we didn't stay long.

The drive to Taos is very pretty, a lot of it along the Rio Grande. We saw some people kayaking down the river. In Taos, we walked around the plaza and went into a few shops, but it was getting late and we didn’t stay long. I bought some T-shirts and Navajo pottery. We didn't go to the pueblo.

Another evening we went for a walk along the Rio Grande in Albuquerque. Apparently there's an irrigation and drainage system that involves canals, and there are many miles of bike/walking trails along the river and canals.

On Saturday, we drove to Madrid and Cerillos (see separate review).

The morning I left, we went to the Albuquerque Flea Market. This was my last day in the Southwest, and I had souvenir fever. The flea market was so big it was daunting. I didn’t make it through even half of it. It had the usual flea market mix of vendors, but also had many (including Native Americans) selling local jewelry, including a lot of silver and turquoise, and some other crafts. I couldn’t afford the higher-quality goods, but managed to buy some nice inexpensive things without going for much schlock.

Then I hit the road again.