Palm Springs Stories and Tips

The Spa Resort and Casino

The Spa Resort Casino combines my two favorite pastimes, relaxing at a spa and gambling. The spa and hotel are actually in a separate facility than the casino. We had a hard time finding parking so decided to pay the $5 for valet. I personally think that it should be free if you are staying at the hotel or if you are having treatments at the spa but I guess those guys deserve it when it is 115 degrees outside.

We did not stay at the hotel so I can't comment on the rooms but the lobby, pool area, and the spa had a very 70’s feel to it and not in a cute retro way. Oh well, most of Palm Springs (except the nicer and more expensive resorts) tends to feel this way.

Even though the spa seemed like something from Three’s Company, it is packed with amenities. We both had 50-minute therapeutic massages for $108 and paid an extra $20 for the "Taking of the Waters? The "Taking of the Waters?is 5-step process including the steam room, dry sauna, aromatherapy inhalation room, private thermal mineral bath, and then the tranquility room. Most places include access to these amenities with the purchase of a treatment but we thought it was well worth it. You have to like heat though.

Steps 1-4 are all well over 105 degrees but they are all supposed to have therapeutic benefits. The thermal mineral baths do smell like sulfur so that may take some getting used to. You actually smell it as soon as you walk into the spa. You have a private bathtub size pool and you can adjust the temperature by adding cold water.

The massage was OK. Not the best, not the worst. I like a lot of pressure with my massages and love when the masseuse works out all my knots. My therapist did a great job on my neck but was just so-so on the rest of me.

Oddly enough, our favorite part was the tranquility room. It looks kind of like a sci-fi hospital room with dim pinkish-blue lighting and individual cots lined up and Navajo flute music playing in the background but once you lay down in the cot, you never want to get up. We went in after our massage and fell asleep and stayed in there for about an hour.

They have a beverage bar with fresh fruit and tea, showers, lockers, and all the amenities that you need to freshen up after spending a day at the spa. It was a decent spa experience but nowhere near as luxurious as some of the other spas such as the Well Spa or the spa at the Hyatt. I personally would spend the extra money to go to the more upscale spas.

The casino on the other hand seems much more modern. It has tons of slot machines, Pai-gow, BlackJack, 3 card poker, 4 card poker, Bacarat, Indian casino craps (with cards instead of dice). Table minimums range from $10-$100. Drinks are free while you are gambling. Dealers and staff seemed pretty friendly. There are 4 restaurants (we didn’t try any as they seemed a little over priced), a Steakhouse, a noodle caf?(Asian food), a buffet, and a deli. This is the most central casino to downtown Palm Springs.