New York Stories and Tips

Taking a Bite Out of the Big Apple

Because my husband and I often travel with our now 11-year-old son, we always try to make the adventure, fun and interesting for all of us. This short visit to New York was no exception. It has something for all of us. We flew my new favorite airline JetBlue, from San Diego to JFK. We stayed at my new favorite hotel, the Waldorf Astoria. We kept busy from the moment we arrived, to the moment we departed.

Spend the day in Rockefeller Center. Visit the NBC Experience Store for t-shirts, and mugs of your favorite shows such as The Apprentice, Fear Factor or Friends. Although NBC considers itself the "must see" network, the studio tour is not. After a brief history video, all you’ll see are empty studios from Saturday Night Live, Dateline & the evening news. Of course at the end, you will be asked to take the proverbial tourist photo behind a news desk. It will be available for purchase at the end of the tour! All my son talked about was ice skating at Rockefeller Center. The rink is small, the crowds are large, and the price is high, but we can now say that we skated on the most famous rink in the world. Afterward, we dined at Rock Center Café. The food was delicious, and the view of the ice skaters was entertaining. New to Rockefeller Center, is the Top of the Rock Observation Deck which just opened on November 1, 2005. You will ascend 70 stories for an astonishing and unobstructed 360 degree view.

For something unusual and bizarre, have lunch at Jekyll & Hyde’s. You aren’t going for the quality of the food. You’re going for the whole experience. The four-story building is filled with artifacts and oddities, many of which seem to have a life of their own.

Do not even think about visiting New York without seeing a Broadway show. We saw Jersey Boys, the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. This was absolutely fantastic! I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone younger than 11 due to some of the language. For a delicious pre-theatre seafood dinner, including oysters, sushi, and caviar, try Blue Fin located in the W Hotel. The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) houses 150,000 pieces of modern and contemporary art. You’ll see works from Van Gogh, Picasso, and Warhol as well as, sculptures, photographs & objects of design. Although ground zero still resembles a construction site, the city has built a viewing platform which serves as a memorial for all of the victims of 9/11, including those who died on Flight 93, and at the Pentagon.

There’s no better place than Little Italy for great Italian food. We ate at Angelo on Mulberry Street, and had a deliciously authentic meal.