Santa Cruz Stories and Tips

Stimulus to Travel...

I fell in love with Santa Cruz at a very early age, it was a 2-hour drive for us to get there, and I learned to love road trips. To this day, my urge to travel has not been sated, and I try to get time away from the everyday life to experience new things. There are a few quotes that I absolutely love, and that also stir me to get out and see the world. I would like to share them with you here;

1."Traveling is almost like talking with men of other centuries." -- René Descartes

2. "Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." –- Miriam Beard

3. Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.
- Babs Hoffman

4. The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
- Augustine (354-430)

5. If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears.
- Glenn Clark

6. Through travel I first became aware of the outside world; it was through travel that I found my own introspective way into becoming a part of it.
- Eudora Welty

7. The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor.
- Unknown

8. It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end.
- Ursula K. LeGuin

9. Your true traveller finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty - his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure.
-Aldous Huxley

10. A person needs at intervals to separate from family and companions and go to new places. One must go without familiars in order to be open to influences, to change.
-Katherine Hathaway

11. As the traveler who has once been from home is wiser than he who has never left his own doorstep, so a knowledge of one other culture should sharpen our ability to scrutinize more steadily, to appreciate more lovingly, our own.
-Margaret Mead

12. I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost

13. Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
-Mark Twain

14. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Unknown

15. All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.
-Martin Buber

16. The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.
-Gilbert Chesterson

17. Travel has a way of stretching the mind. The stretch comes not from travel's immediate rewards, the inevitable myriad new sights, smells and sounds, but with experiencing firsthand how others do differently what we believed to be the right and only way.
-Ralph Crenshaw

18. Stripped of your ordinary surroundings, your friends, your daily routines, your refrigerator full of food, your closet full of clothes - with all this taken away, you are forced into direct experience. Such direct experience inevitably makes you aware of who it is that is having the experience. That's not always comfortable, but it is always invigorating.
-Michael Crichton

19. Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.
-Frank Herbert

20. The sea is dangerous and its storms terrible, but these obstacles have never been sufficient reason to remain ashore... unlike the mediocre, intrepid spirits seek victory over those things that seem impossible... it is with an iron will that they embark on the most daring of all endeavors... to meet the shadowy future without fear and conquer the unknown.
-Ferdinand Magellan

21. A man of ordinary talent will always be ordinary, whether he travels or not; but a man of superior talent (which i cannot deny myself to be without being impious) will go to pieces if he remains forever in the same place...
-Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

22. I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.
-Susan Sontag

23. Travel like Ghandi, with simple clothes, open eyes and an uncluttered mind.
-Rick Steves

24. All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
-J.R.R. Tolkien

25. No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.
-Lin Yutang

26. Walking ten thousand miles of world is better than reading ten thousand scrolls of books.
-Chinese Proverb

27. The Journey Is The Reward.
-Toaist Proverb

28. When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money.
-Susan Heller

29. We do not receive wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can make for us, which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world.
-Marcel Proust

Here now is a quick explanation of the etymology of the word travel;

Travel: the word travel has a common origin with the word travail. Once upon a time, travel was exceedingly uncomfortable and often dangerous. Indeed, the ultimate source of the word 'travel' is a medieval instrument of torture - the trepalium - a contraption would pierce its victim's flesh with three sharp stakes (tres 'three' and palus 'stake'). The trepalium became a verb, trepaliare, which meant any form of torture. From torture to the Old French concept of travailler - or 'putting oneself to pain or trouble. Travailler came to mean 'work hard' in French. English borrowed the word as 'travail' and this, in turn, was used to describe a wearisome journey - travel.

I hope that after reading the above, that you will be inspired to travel. I search out new areas, new food, new experiences, and new friends. It seems to me that travel has a way of increasing wisdom.

Now, go. Strike out on your own and see the world in all of its marvelous glory.