Providence Stories and Tips

Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa

The Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa, located in the Biltmore Hotel, is a haven from the hustle and bustle of a thriving city. My experience began on a rainy winter day, as everyone's does who attends the Red Door Spa, with free valet parking. A major theme at the spa is equality--whether you are simply getting a manicure or will be papering yourself with a full day of beauty, the staff at the Red Door Spa treat you as their special guest. On this occasion, it was my fiance who was pampering me, with a Shea Body Butter Melt, a facial, and a warm cream manicure.

At the spa entrance, the atmosphere is warm and inviting, yet modern and soothing. Customers enjoying spa services are led up a separate elevator to the main floor, whose ambience far exceeds any I've seen in luxury and relaxation. The changing area is like that of a personal living room, with coded lockers for storing valuables, and plush terry robes and comfy sandals are given to wear throughout your stay. As I was enjoying multiple services that day, I was able to spend time in the relaxation room, the Red Door's version of a waiting room, with pillowed seating, delicious lemon-lime water, and soothing music.

I am not a professional spa-service reviewer, so I do not claim to know how the services themselves compare to others done by other salons and spas. The Shea Butter Body Melt began with an exfoliating total body rub, and I was given the gloves that were used after the service was over. Next, a thick layer of butter was applied all over my skin. I was then wrapped in a warm plastic cocoon, and the esthetician gave me a gentle head, neck, and face massage while the butter set into my skin. After approximately 20 minutes, I was unwrapped and the butter was further massaged into my skin and then removed with a damp towel. My skin was soft all over.

I do not remember much of the facial, just that it was the ultimate in soothing. While the esthetician cleansed, creamed, and detoxified over and over again, my hands were also massaged and placed in warm gloves. When it was time to do the dreaded extractions, there was no pain because my face had been so properly prepared. It was perfect.

The manicure was also wonderful, if pretty standard. All I can say is that at the end of my day, I was at the peak of relaxation. All of the estheticians who performed the services were professional and friendly, not leaving me feeling exposed and making me feel at ease. I highly recommend the Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa for the ultimate in pampering.