Kentucky Stories and Tips

Week 11 - A Blast From the Past (USA)

It's been a blast from the past this week, like a trip back to my University as for the first time in months copious amounts of drinking have been taking place. With Christmas very fast approaching and with the Universities around here finishing, I thought it would be rude not to join in the drinking festivities that have been taking place.

I had the pleasure of going out drinking with my girlfriend and some of her friends a few nights this week, and I quickly realised that my drinking tolerance levels had weakened considerably since being in London. Now three pints is more than enough for me becoming a menace! Luckily I was well behaved through my drunkenness, with the worst act stealing a couple of pint glasses from one of the bars we went to, which for some reason earned me a lot more respect than I was expecting.

A strange thing has happened the past two times I have been out... for some unknown reason I have been greeted as a lady when entering the bar (and before anyone says, no it's not because I have grown breasts from overeating while being here!!!)... although this is not the first time it has happened, it is the first time when having a fully grown beard, and I would have been sure that the hints of ginger in it would have made them see that I was in fact male. What made it even worse is that yesterday after it happened, the bar girl decided to tell the whole bar of her mistake, making me a laughing stock. I could have punched her in the face! The fact that she then asked me what part of Ireland I was from, and told what is probably the most boring story I have ever heard about how she once spoke to an Irishman didn't make things better. She definitely didn't get a tip from me for the high levels of embarrassment caused!

Apart from nights of drinking and being mistaken for an Irish girl, I had the pleasure of going to see a play that my girlfriend had directed, which was very good indeed. I dont know exactly what I was expecting, but I was mightily impressed and so were the rest of the audience. I also had the pleasure of learning a fair bit of the American History and the Civil War this week, but I'm not quite sure if anyone will be interested in hearing about that, so I won't divulge any further!

Well that's all for this week. I cannot believe that I have only one more week here before returning back to England for Christmas.

For more information and photos, log onto: