Cambridge Stories and Tips

A Tour of Cambridge, England

My husband was invited to speak at a conference convening at Churchill College in Cambridge, England. He asked me if I was interested in accompanying him. Though that request may sound strange, we were finishing off the latter of two vacation trips in Europe. I am glad I agreed to continue on to Cambridge with him from Barcelona. It was a wise decision. Though our time was brief (only having 2.5 days in Cambridge), only the first of those two days was magnificent. The sun was out and I shot some of my best pictures that day. And when it comes to beautiful scenery, Cambridge can offer some of the prettiest.

We wisely took a 2 hour walking tour to get a quick overview of the city. We had signed up at the Cambridge’s Tourist Office. This is one great place to start your acclimation to the area. They offer a ton of information and also provide lovely trinkets for souvenirs and gifts (postcards, picture books, jams, and of course, T-shirts). Our tour guide was highly knowledgeable and gave us our money’s worth. I highly recommend such a tour for first time visitors.

You only have to look around you to know you can only be in England…the architecture and the landscape are purely English. As we meandered along the Cam River in our punt, we delighted in watching the magnificent scenery drift by. And, after cramming as much as we could into that one day, we concluded it by taking in what is referred to as Evensong at the King’s College Chapel. This is a 45 minute vesper service which is open to the public. To hear the King’s College Choir is quite a treat and not to be missed. What a perfect way to end a lovely day in Cambridge, England.