Chicago Stories and Tips

Tea at the Intercontinental Hotel

If you are looking to go to tea in Chicago, go to the Intercontinental. While many go to the Drake hotel, I have found that the Intercontinental is more my style. We have had tea here every Christmas season for as long as I can remember. The location is great right after shopping on Michigan Avenue.

I would suggest that you get a little dressed up for tea here. Tea is served daily from 2-5pm and is an experience I wouldn’t trade for the world! The Intercontinental hotel is understated elegance and supreme service.

When you go to tea here, get full tea--please do not be content with simply a cup of tea and a side sandwich. Full tea here is an experience you will remember. It consists of a pot of tea of your choice (there are some eight different choices), and then they bring out the snacks to nibble on. This consists of a three-tiered platter of finger sandwiches (cucumber, turkey, and salmon ones), pastries/tarts, and what is tea without scones? The Intercontinental serves real clotted cream, in addition to individual preserves in jars (no plastic here).

I would also suggest that you get the "Avenue Tea"; it is the epitome of decadence. In addition to everything that was mentioned above, they include a glass of Moet & Chandon White Star champagne and a plate of strawberries with real whipped cream.

Tea at the Intercontinental is an elegant and understated experience that I would recommend for anyone looking for a little bit of culture.