Shanzu Stories and Tips

Safari through Tsavo & Kimana

elephants Photo, Shanzu, Kenya

We had booked a short safari of 3 days, as we had our 9-year-old who was just off crutches following a traffic accident, and we didn't want to overtire her.

That said, we had a great time on our safari, driving from Mombasa (5:30am start) up to Tsavo West National Park, stopping off to visit a Masai village (yes, I know it’s all staged for tourists, but it was still very interesting and worth the Ksh500 each, 200 for under-12s). As we drove through Tsavo West, we saw large numbers of animals, including lions, giraffes, several different species of antelopes, hippos, and birds beyond count, and arriving at Leopard Lodge in the Kimana Game Sanctuary at about 5pm. Here, thankfully, we showered and settled into our three-bed chalet before our five-course dinner. We decided against a swim in the pool when we saw a couple of wildebeest drinking out of it!

Up again at 5am the next morning for a dawn game drive, during which we saw our first zebras and elephants–-breathtaking! Another two game drives that day, and saw our elephant tally increase dramatically, including a 2-day-old calf, as well as countless zebras, wildebeest, and antelopes, and more giraffes and hippos, along with some crocodiles, hyenas, and warthogs, as well as loads of beautiful birds.

There were a couple more drives on the third day, including a secluded pool full of hippos and a pair of crocs, and then we went on to the airstrip and the one-hour flight back to Bamburi, and thence to our hotel.

This is a trip that will stay with me for the rest of my life--I do not have the words to convey how I felt, seeing those beautiful animals in the wild.