Columbus Stories and Tips

Columbus, Ohio: August 13, Part 2

Graters Ice Cream Photo, Columbus, Ohio

After seeing all the sights in the morning we ate at the Happy Greek on 660 N. High Street. The interior of the Happy Greek sports imitation marble columns and murals of places such as the Parthenon. The happy Greek serves traditional fare such as Greek salad, zucchini chicken kabobs, hummus, falafel balls, and grape leaves. Drink some Greek beer or some ouzo with your meal. I ate the Grape leave meal and was quite satisfied with it and the service was good as well.

We had to have an ice cream run after meeting up with Jim again. Graters Ice Cream at 2555 Bethel Road Graeter's was started by Louis C Greater in 1870. Greater came from Germany and stayed in Indiana until the age of 16, when he moved to Cincinnati. Here, he made his handmade ice cream using the French pot process that is in use today. This process uses egg custard and fresh cream and is chilled slowly along the sides and stirred. One pot yields only 2 gallons. It is this slow process which makes the ice cream so creamy and tasty. The chocolate chips that are used are different sizes and just melt in your mouth. They are amazing. I tried the mocha chocolate chip, black raspberry chip, and the buckeye blitz. I have a hard time choosing my favorite, since all three were superb. This was one of my favorite stops in Columbus.

MARDI GRAS Homemade Ice Cream on 1947 Hard Rd Mardi Gras has many flavor to choose from. There are old favorites such as vanilla, butter pecan and Oreos. They also have exotic flavors such as green tea, lichee, sweet rose, guava and Kesar Pista. I tried the ginger ice cream which had pieces of candied ginger which was good. The wall has pictures of customers eating their ice cream.

That night, there was a big thunderstorm. We ended up hanging out in a blackout with Jim’s friends on a porch. Here, we just drank and talked and waited for the rain to stop. When the rain lessened we went to the Water Fire. The Water Fire on the mile is an event where 101 fires are lit in 3-foot torches on the Scioto River and music is played throughout the night. The event started on July 2005 to celebrate the opening of North Bank Park. I went to the August 2005 event and it was pretty relaxing. We suggested that a petition be made to burn the Santa Maria at the next event for a more dramatic show. I wonder if that will pass--just kidding!