Norfolk Stories and Tips

Marriott Pt. 2

Main Street Photo, Norfolk, Virginia

For guests staying on the 22nd floor and above you have access to the concierge room. Inside concierge Kirk Springer and his staff will be glad to assist guests with dinner reservations, directions, and other needs you might have. Drinks and snacks are available throughout the day and breakfast, appetizers, and desserts are served at various times during the day. There is a TV as well as desks and chairs for lounging or for meetings. The views of the harbor are eye-catching here as well. The staff here goes out of their way to make guest feel welcome. In fact Christmas Day I just went in to make sure that someone was there in case we wanted dessert later. About 40 minutes later we received a call from Kirk letting us know the lounge would be closing in case we wanted dessert. Since I didn’t sign in, he went to a lot of trouble just to find out who we were. That kind of service is priceless.

Guests can enjoy an indoor pool as well as indoor whirlpool. If you are looking to hit the links the concierge will be glad to arrange tee times for you at one of the nearby courses. There is an on-site fitness center. There are not any day spas on the premises, but the hotel can arrange a package for you at one of the nearby spas. Parking is $19 per day or $24 for valet, both are in and out as much as you like. There is also a municipal parking garage only a few feet away for $14, again come and go as much as you like. You are only 8 miles from the airport.

There are three restaurants on the premises. The Dining Room is open for lunch. The Piano Lounge is open for dinner. Shula’s 347 is open for lunch and dinner. This discriminating restaurant is part of a chain owned by legendry NFL coach Don Shula. I have a separate entry on my next journal on this restaurant. There is also a place to pick up a cup of Joe or a pastry in the morning in the lobby.

If you are holding a meeting, convention, reunion, wedding, or any other special occasion, then the Marriott is the ideal place for your needs. With over 60,000 square feet of meeting space there is something for every occasion. No matter if you are holding a small reunion for 30 or a convention for 3000, the sales staff here will be glad to help you out. They offer meeting rooms, class space, banquet halls, and are adjacent to the Norfolk Convention Center. They are currently undergoing renovations for their meeting space. Sales Director Cathy Grief took me on a tour, and from what I saw the rooms were just beautiful. I can only imagine what it will look like after renovations are over with. The meeting space is held on the 4th level. There are a number of open spaces perfect for lounging or for registrations. You can contact Cathy and she will be glad to explain their packages to you.

My only compliant is a small one and involves housekeeping. If you read my Anaheim journal then you know I am not exactly an early riser. I am more incline to keep vampire hours. John and I hung our little privacy sign on the door and planned on snoozing in late. Christmas morning we were woken by housekeeping to inquire if we would need service that day, after explaining she saw the sign. Calling me is disturbing me. Then Christmas night while John was shaving, he ended up getting shaving cream in his eye! Ouch. He was in pain and had a hard time sleeping. I had a meeting with the sales manager the next morning and then we planned on checking out. My meeting was at 10, so I didn’t plan on getting up until 9:30. At 7:30, I was awakened by the sounds of faint tapping on the door. Too exhausted to care, I stayed in bed and tried to go back to sleep. At 8:30, we were once again awakened by housekeeping.

I would recommend the Marriott to anyone. It is a wonderful hotel. The staff is great. If you need directions, the front desk even has them typed out for you so all you have to do is just follow the directions. Great idea! For reservations, simply go to www.marriott.com.