Cape Coral Stories and Tips

Island Cow Eatery, Perkins Family Restaurant, Rib

Island Cow Eatery, 239/472-0606 (Sanibel): First, let me start with the muffins—oh, the delicious muffins that are served instead of bread when you are first seated. They are fresh, homemade, and still warm when you get them. During a 2-hour, very relaxed meal, we were given at least four plates (of four muffins), and every plate had a different flavor. We got to try the chocolate chip, cranberry, coconut, and butterscotch muffins. Can you say delicious?! Getting past that, the meal was actually pretty tasty as well. The service was very friendly, and the atmosphere could not be beat—relaxed and outdoors. The menu was so big that I didn't know what to order. They have sandwiches, fajitas, salads, burgers, etc. I had the chicken fajita, and it was so large that I barely got through half of it. My husband got the burger and seemed very happy (burgers usually get a tough break with him—he's a burger connoisseur). Overall, it is a perfect place to stop for lunch after spending the day on Sanibel Beach. The waitress even sent us home with some muffins; it doesn't get any better than that! Highly Recommended.

Perkins Family Restaurant, 239/540-8181 (Fort Meyers): This is a family place that reminded me of Friendly's (New York chain restaurant). They had a horribly slow and incompetent staff. We waited over an hour for a burger, and there was only one other table seated. My salad was delivered with no dressing, and the four other people at the table had eaten before I got it. If you are hungry and nothing else is open, I would reluctantly go here. Otherwise, drive right by. Not recommended at all. Perkins Family Restaurant

Rib City Barbecue, 239/549-7427 (Fort Meyers): What a meal! This is a very casual, local hangout where beers are "buy one, get the second for a nickel" and the food falls off the bone. You can't go wrong, whether you are ordering the chicken, beef, or pork (we tried them all). They offer three types (flavors) of ribs, and they also sell combo platters so that you don't have to choose. All of the entrées also come with your choice of two sides: fries, coleslaw, baked potato, applesauce, baked beans, or sliced tomatoes. (I am getting hungry just typing this.) They also have sandwiches and salads for those who are watching their figures. The service was fast and friendly, and there was plenty of parking. It is a good place to hang out or bring the family (they have a kid’s menu). Recommended.