Kenai Stories and Tips

Page 1

Dog yard photos Photo, Kenai, Alaska

As I sit here waiting for my coffee to cool down, I am pleasantly reminded of a quote from the T.E. Lawrence book Seven Pillars of Wisdom. "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."

I don’t think I have ever really lived out a dream of mine - nothing monumental anyway. But I think being here, in Alaska, I can say that I know what it feels like to live out a dream. If anything, it feels so surreal that it's more like living in a dream than coming out of one. But it is by the short Alaska days of light that I dream, and at night, when my mind begins to sleep, reality sets in, and I am excited.

The first dog-sledding run I ever did was on my second day in Alaska. The excitement I had right before we unhooked was like nothing I've ever felt. It was strange, though. Most seasoned dogsledders say that they still have this huge anticipation right before they jump on the sled for the first time each day. I’ve even heard some relating it to a space shuttle launch. As excited as I was, it was different for me. It was calm, natural almost. It was like it was something I was meant to do or maybe something I had done in a past life. I was meant to do this. I didn’t have the slightest bit of fear or hesitation. I was as eager and ready as the dogs were to hit the trail.