Cebu Stories and Tips

Hungry at Mactan Airport

One of my favorite places in the Philippines is Cebu. Located in the Visayas region, Cebu is a combination of provincial and cosmopolitan living.

The Mactan-Cebu International Airport is one of Philippine Airlines' major hubs in the southern Philippines, as Cebu is a gateway to Mindanao.

Several times I find myself waiting for a delayed arrival of an aircraft from Manila, so I go around the terminal or outside and buy native delicacies or sample local cuisine. Inside the terminal are food stalls, which serve quick snacks. I’ve forgotten the name of the stall that serves La Paz batchoy - a native version of noodles in broth, but it is located just beside a Dunkin’ Donuts outlet.

Other food items included in their list are: Mami - Chinese version of noodles in broth, Puto - rice cake, Siopao - Chinese bun with pork inside, and Goto/Lugaw - native rice porridge flavored with ginger. Their version of local fast food is very filling and affordable.

The native delicacies available for sale at the terminal are expensive, so, when I have plenty of time, I go outside, ride a tricycle to a nearby food outlet in the area, and fill my bag with Otap, a flaky sweet biscuit; Chicaron Cebu, crispy pork rinds; and dried mangoes. Cebu has some of the best-tasting dried mangoes in the Philippines.