Cayman Islands Stories and Tips

Two 40-Year-Old Kids, One Small Island

Twin Otter That You'll Fly In On Photo, Cayman Islands, Caribbean

Going to Little Cayman will make you feel like you have slipped into a time machine and been sent back to your completely carefree childhood years. The lack of populous here, along with a complete sense of safety (there is no crime here), combined with the natural, untouched beauty of this island, are sure to give you delightful goose bumps. The butterflies, iguanas, and hermit crabs trickling their way across a deserted beach road are likely to make you feel like a kid on a very special vacation that no one else gets to go on.It all started with boarding the tiny plane in Grand Cayman, headed for Little Cayman. As we walked up the four or five steps of the plane, I saw that the cabin was only about 4 feet in height. I had to duck down as far as I could to make my way through the tiny aisle. I looked over at my travel mate and quipped "What, is this the oomph a loompah plane?" Truly, I felt like the Jolly Green Giant on this plane. It comfortably seated perhaps 10-15 people. The cabin was so small, the only thing separating us from the pilot were a flimsy pair of short drapes. We could see the captain as he throttled up the propellers in his seemingly microscopic cockpit. I thought "Gees, what did I sign up for here? Then again, you only live once, this might be fun!"I am not afraid to fly at all, but I must admit, on this tiny plane, I held my breath and braced myself as the plane hit the end of the runway and took flight. The smell of gasoline permeated the air inside the cabin, and the noise from the engines was so loud, that you couldn’t speak to anyone on the plane without yelling at them. Altitude was always fairly low, allowing us a spectacular view the entire flight. Surprisingly, we stopped off at Cayman Brac to drop off and pick up passengers. This is a very small airport with a small airstrip. I did have time to get off of the plane at Cayman Brac to use the ladies room. We were allowed off of the plane so they could re-fuel. Once back on the plane, I held my breath again as we took flight. Was I holding my breath because I was nervous, or because the gasoline fumes were so overwhelming? I decided it must be for both reasons. Within only a few minutes, we were bouncing like a big rabbit down the grassy airstrip on Little Cayman. Ahhh, safe at last! There were no baggage carousels here, just get off the plane, and grab your luggage as the captain unloads it.Several days after our safe arrival, we rented bikes from the resort and took a long ride down the narrow road encompassing the island. We first encountered a lovely church surrounded by palms and lovely tropical flowers. It has been awhile since I’ve been to church, but this one would inspire me to go every Sunday! We stopped to literally smell the flowers on this church's property.Some days prior, some divers at our resort confided in us about the "secret Iguana feeding spot." They were kind enough to include directions to the "secret" location. On this day, we found ourselves at the south west side of the island, at the rear of the Mahogany subdivision (a subdivision obviously abandoned by builders after only building a few homes). I was a little excited, so I was peddling faster than my travel buddy and arrived at the "secret spot" faster than she did. Nope, no Iguanas. Wait, what’s that big gray thing in the grass about six inches from where I just planted my foot? Eeeeek, huge , scary looking Iguana alert! I backed away slowly and waited for my friend to arrive. We whipped out our bananas and started pulling off small pieces and throwing them in the street (as instructed by the divers we met). The Iguana nearest to my foot was the first to come forward... licking up a bit of banana but looking not so comfortable with us standing so close. I backed a bit further away. Just then, my friend starts throwing bits of banana at my feet. I looked at my friend and said "Heyy, don’t throw the bananas at my feet for the Iguanas to come bite my toes off!" I look down and there’s the big scary one eating just an inch or two from my foot. I stayed very still, eyes bugging out and breaking a sweat as I looked at my friend with both fear and anger on my face. Iguanas are not poisonous, but they have very sharp teeth that can make for some exceptionally nasty lacerations. Fifteen minutes or so after we began throwing out bits of fruit, we saw that we were surrounded by about 10 fairly large iguanas. They all wanted a piece of the pie. Like a scared kid, the minute we ran out of banana, I was on my bike and peddling away from the feeding iguanas. Best to leave them alone while they eat, don’t you think?A true, carefree feeling overtook me when we rounded the bend at the south east end of the island and encountered butterflies. We felt like kids stopping to "catch" a butterfly or two. The slow pace of the island was overtaking us as we began to peddle our bikes slower and slower... taking our sweet time more and more as the minutes and hours passed. The ocean breeze in our hair, our feet peddling on "island time"... yes, I think we were 10 years old at that moment.We saw several stunning beaches along the way, and snuck onto what appeared to be private property in order to snap a few pictures. I kept waiting for my Mom to appear and say "Get out of those peoples yard!." Lucky for me, in most cases, there wasn’t a soul in sight. I looked at the sun to approximate the time of day and I could see it was getting to be about 4pm. Time to head back to the resort, we needed to be "home" before dark! As we made the slovenly journey back to the resort, I saw what appeared to be a rock in the road. However, rocks don’t move, and this rock would move a couple of inches, stop, and then move a couple more inches. I stepped up the pace on my peddling to investigate the moving rock. I was slightly afraid, but far too curious to ignore it. I approached with caution and burst out into laughter as I saw that this "rock" was merely a very large hermit crab... trickling his way across the road and trying to do so without being "noticed."The kinds of things we saw that day are things we usually don’t have time (in every day life) to stop and enjoy. It’s funny how the simplest things in life can have the most profound effect.