Bartlesville Stories and Tips

My Itinerary for the Bartlesville Trip

Bartlesville, OK Photo, Bartlesville, Oklahoma

Monday, February 2, 2004
Flew to Tulsa on Continental Airlines. This was the day after the Super Bowl in Houston, so security lines at the airport were ridiculously long. I was glad I arrived at the airport nearly three hours before my flight departed, because by the time I parked the car, took a shuttle to the terminal, checked in, and waited in line, I entered Terminal E only 50 minutes before my departure. I had just enough time to grab a quick bite to eat in the food court before boarding. The flight was very full but Continental's service was up the usual high standards. After arriving in Tulsa I picked up the rental car from Avis and headed for Bartlesville, about an hour away. After arriving I met up with my employers who were finishing up a workshop at the Holiday Inn. I checked into the hotel and after several problems with my key was finally able to get into my room. Ate an average Chinese dinner at Ocean China. Went to bed early because I had a long day of work ahead of me the next day.

Tuesday, February 3, 2004
Spent the day counseling employees of our client at their location. Had a nice lunch at Taste of Europe. After work dinner was at Vardelli's, an Italian restaurant located near my hotel on the "main drag."

Wednesday, February 4, 2004
Another day at work. Heavy snow was predicted to start by noon, which it did. The snow fell nonstop for about eight hours, blanketing the city in a beautiful layer of white. Enjoyed a fabulous dinner at Copper in the Price Tower and enjoyed my first glimpse at the building's interior.

Thursday, February 5, 2004
Worked all day and decided to get a fast dinner at my hotel's restaurant so I could get back to my room early and watch a movie on HBO. I should have opted for takeout from a local restaurant or had a pizza delivered; the hamburger from the Holiday Inn was not very good, and sadly, looked like the best option on the very limited menu.

Friday, February 6, 2004
The last full day of work on the trip. Had a very good dinner at Aromas Italian Cafe downtown. It had been recommended by the group of women I met at Copper two nights before.

Saturday, February 7, 2004
Finally the last two client appointments of the trip! After working Saturday morning I decided to spend the afternoon seeing some of the local sights before heading back to Tulsa. My flight home wasn't scheduled until Sunday morning because my original schedule had me finishing work a little too late to get on the last Continental flight back to Houston on Saturday. Fortunately the schedule had changed and I no longer had to work Saturday afternoon. After my last meeting I rushed back to the hotel to change clothes and check out, then drove out to Woolaroc, the former country home and ranch of Frank Phillips, founder of the Phillips Petroleum Corporation. The site is now a wildlife refuge, cultural center, and museum with a restaurant serving lunch on the weekends. I had planned to see the museum and have lunch at Woolaroc, but after getting out to the site I realized I did not have any cash to pay the car entry fee and they did not accept credit cards. So I drove back into town to an ATM and decided to catch Woolaroc on a later trip. Had a decent barbecue lunch at Dink's, then headed for the Price Tower Arts Center in time for the 2:00 tour. The tour was almost fully booked when I arrived about 1:00 but they were able to get me in since I was by myself. I spent the next hour browsing their gift shop and exhibit halls. When 2:00 came around I spent the next hour or so on a great tour of this amazing building. After the tour I purchased a few items in the gift shop and walked around the exterior taking photos. Afterwards I considered visiting the historic Phillips mansion a few blocks away, but decided to head on back toward Tulsa instead. On the way out of town I noticed a park with a frozen lake where a flock of migrating Canadian geese had stopped. I pulled into the park and took several pictures of the geese, then got on the road to Tulsa, calling my mother to tell her about the geese and the Price Tower. She has a fascination with Canadian geese and was quite excited to hear of my experience of seeing several hundred of them in the snow and on the frozen lake in the park. After arriving in Tulsa I checked into my usual hotel for business travel there, the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport. I then set out to find a house listed in my Frank Lloyd Wright building catalog I had purchased at the Price Tower. After finding the house, I went to the mall to shop a little and then had a Mexican dinner at El Chico before heading back to the hotel for the night.

Sunday, February 8, 2004
Got up early, had a fast breakfast at the hotel, checked out, and drove the half mile to the airport terminal to return the car and check in for my flight home. Again the flight was totally full, which I found surprising for a Sunday morning. An hour and a half after takeoff I was back home in Houston, with a couple of days to get ready for my next trip.

Been to this destination?

Share Your Story or Tip