Western Caribbean Stories and Tips

Disembarkation and look back on the cruise

Disembarkation:
The weather was definitely not nice in Florida…again! There went our planned day at sea! Grrr!!! During breakfast, we decided we would drive through the Everglades and go up the gulf Coast all the way back home. The Horizon Court is always really busy on disembarkation and we took our breakfast on the Terrace. The rain had stopped and we heard our number, just as we finished eating (aaaah… the privilege of Aloha Deck). We reluctantly left the ship. I took a last look behind as I was on the gangway already and hope we’ll be back soon. On our way back, on the northern part of the coast, we stopped at a citrus grove and brought back 4 big bags of oranges, tangerines and grapefruit. Unfortunately, you cannot pick them up as people might contaminate the fruits and trees. We arrived in Chicago as the first snow of the year had fallen. Talk about a coming back!

A look back on the cruise:
From the ship’s point of view, I have nothing to add except it was as great as I remembered. Friendly staff, great entertainment. Maybe not enough days at sea to relax!!! ;o) Personal Choice Dining was a breeze (maybe because we were eating a little later than most people) and despite the fact of having a lot of children and teenagers, there hasn’t been a single problem (at least, not that I am aware of). Our room steward was very friendly and always asked us if everything was all right or if we needed anything.

Now, concerning the itinerary, I frankly prefer the Eastern Caribbean. It is more scenic and we enjoyed ourselves more ashore. Cayman Island was a pretty relaxing spot although nothing really stroke us. Memo for Costa Maya: it is probably better to book an excursion or rent a car to go around in your own exploration if you are the "traveler" kind. We regretted we didn’t although I found Costa Maya being an interesting experience. Cozumel was nice but since we don’t snorkel or don’t intend to get wasted by the early afternoon *;o)*, we maybe didn’t enjoy it as much as we should have but our long walk in San Miguel’s streets did really give us a taste of Mexico. If a cruise takes us back there, we will go to Chankanaab Park. On the whole, we had a great time and can’t wait to go back on a cruise again.