Pawleys Island Stories and Tips

It's Pretty in These Here Parts

South Carolina has a deserved redneck reputation; however, I (a transplanted Midwesterner) am able to legitimately defend its beauty and inviting nature.

The South is subtle. The trees are a creamy green and the Spanish moss is slow and syrupy, just like a Southern drawl. The ocean here is calmer than most. The pine trees, which are tall and skinny, foliage only beginning up high, have a slender majesty about them. Of course, there is the state's symbol, the palmetto palm, the pine’s short and stubby cousin. If you are on a beach in this part of South Carolina, you can still see stars, which is more than you can say for the beaches of L.A. or Miami.

I like the way the air smells here, sometimes briny (it is called the low country). I do fear alligators when I have happened to take a walk in Huntington State Park or been a guest at Hobcaw Barony (which is rarely).

There are great golf courses in this area, tons of excellent dining choices, some kitschy shopping, and a state-of-the-art Piggly Wiggly. (I kid you not. They hire a piano player and a baby grand during the holidays).

It’s a great relaxation spot for grown-up vacationers. I came here as a kid (21? Is that still kid classification?) and was bored out of my mind.