Fife Stories and Tips

Things to do in Fife

Once we had given up our flat in Edinburgh, I ended up spending a bit of time in Fife staying with my boyfriend's parents. Fife is just across the Forth from Edinburgh, and a journey there takes you across the Fife Rail Bridge, which the Scottish would have you believe is the coolest bridge in the world judging by the number of postcards/pictures on touristy books, etc. It is indeed a nice bridge, if you like bridges.

Burntisland, where I stayed, is a nice little town. I can't imagine there would be much of a reason to visit as a tourist, though on a sunny day the beach is very nice and there is a little Heritage Museum. One of the churches, the one by the train station, is notable for being where the King James version of the bible was authorized apparently.

However, there are some nice areas of Fife. The best known is, of course, St. Andrews. My favourite part of St Andrews is the beach, where the running on the beach scene of Chariots of Fire was filmed. It also has a ruined Cathedral, a ruined castle (you can't take dogs in, by the way, which is why I've never been inside myself), and some nice pubs around the university. Apparently the tourist numbers have increased since Prince William started attending university there, but my visit was before then.

Kirkaldy's museum and art gallery has a couple of paintings by Jack Vettriano, for any fans out there.

Dunfermline has a lovely abbey, and the head of Robert the Bruce, nicely shrivelled.

There are some really nice fishing villages in the East Neuk of Fife. We drove down to Anstruther to have Britain’s best fish and chips one sunny evening. Eating fish and chips on a bench beside the sea is a lovely experience. The fish shop is very popular, so there are queues to eat in or take out. The harbour makes for a good photos, as do those at Pittenweem and Crail, also fishing villages. Lots of lobster traps, old houses, and pretty views. Perfect on a sunny day if you are in the mood for a wander through small villages by car.