Must Do While in Barbados
Things to do and ONE THING NOT TO DO IN BARBADOS:
- Go out the door of the South Beach hotel (where we stayed: see my review), turn right and walk a block or two to Frogs, which is a bar. It will acclimate you very quickly to being in Barbados -- in a good way!
- Accra Beach is one of the finest in Barbados – it features crystal clear water with pristine white sand. Awe-inspiring.
- Find a street vendor and get a flying fish sandwich - even if you do not like fish. As a matter of fact, you've gotta have flying fish prepared every way possible.
- Take a cab to "The Gap." Not the clothing store, but the area of town. It is less than 5 minutes away from the hotel.
- You've gotta take a catamaran out for an afternoon. Don't worry if it looks crowded. We had over 50 people on our boat and I had an absolute blast: Drinks, lunch, snorkeling with turtles. . .you cannot beat it (see review).
- You've gotta haggle over the price of a trinket at the market in The Gap.
- You've gotta dance, eat, drink and then haggle over the price of a trinket at the Oistins Fish Fry. The fish fry is one of THE absolute MUST-do's while in Barbados (see review).
- You've gotta drink lots of Banks beer and Malibu rum and pineapple juice.
- You've gotta play golf if you're in to that. I loved it and so did my wife. We played three times over a one-week trip.
- You've gotta take hot sauce home with you. If you usually never eat hot sauce, you will in Barbados. . .
- I would say you gotta go to the Royal Barbados Cigar factory too. It's free and very cool if you like cigars.
- Bum around in Bridgetown.
- Go to Bathsheeba. Personally, I could have done without this one except for seeing a different side of the island. My wife loved the botanical garden though. And the rock formations were pretty cool. Beware the bus ride back. . . It can get interesting.
- FINALLY, do NOT get into the little minivan taxis that cruise around. The locals use them because they are cheaper than regular taxis. But these things are overcrowded and dangerous. A van made for six people suddenly has 10 people inside and the driver is doing 55 mph while swerving all around. Did I mention that sometimes people are hanging on the outside or sitting on the roof? They will honk at you or even stop and open the sliding door for you. Just wave them on and they will leave.