Port Aransas Stories and Tips

Palacios Baptist Encampment 50 Years Later

Palacios Baptist Encampment Photo, Port Aransas, Texas

A great deal of our Mustang Island vacation was spent in Aransas Pass, Port Lavaca, Olivia, Vanderbilt, and Edna. While visiting Olivia, I asked if anyone minded driving about 10 additional miles out of the way so that I could see the Texas Baptist Encampment in Palacios. It was still early in the day, and there were no objections, and away we drove on a trip to relive old adventures from when I was still a kid.

Amazingly enough, we were able to find the camp with no problem. It sits right on Matagorda Bay and has wonderful water views. Several of the buildings that we used had been torn down and replaced with newer and nicer buildings. I was especially sad to see that the big old house that I had stayed in the last time I attended the camp was gone. It had been such a beautiful home at one time and was still surrounded with fig trees when I was there. I remember that the figs were ripe and on the last day of camp I picked a lot of them and took them home for my mother to make fig preserves. What a nice memory! I also remember the wonderful fishing dock where we could catch a lot of fish with just a cane pole. We drove through the camp and I let all of the memories wash over me as I saw familiar trees, fishing docks, and buildings that I had seen so many years ago.