Cobh Stories and Tips

FOTA

FOTA is a wildlife park near Cork, Ireland. I wasn't sure what to expect when we got there, but I was pleasantly surprised. The first thing that you see when you enter is that most of the animals are just wandering around freely. To me, this seems very strange, because I am used to seeing animals in cages. The park grounds are very nice and very well kept up. They have different little stations along the way where children can stop and play. Now, since the animals are walking around freely, let me send you a warning - watch where you step! Hopefully I don’t need to explain what I mean by that.

So, as you walk in you will see kangaroos hopping around (or sleeping - they sleep quite a lot), and then you start your journey around the park. It amazes me how well accustomed the animals are to people and they don’t seem to care that we are walking around them.

You can catch the trail train that they have that drives around the park or you can just walk it. I recommend walking because it gives you better chances of seeing the animals since you can go at your own pace. You will get to see exotic animals such as giraffes, red pandas, cheetahs, and many different types of monkeys. For me, a highlight was the monkeys - there is one off road that is just past their "home" that you can walk down, and I strongly recommend it. When you go down the road, you come to a clearing that is surrounded by trees and the trees are filled with monkeys. This is a great place for photo ops because you can get very close to them.

As for the facilities at the park, they have two entrances and either one will do. You can take the train directly there and it drops you off at their doorstep, or you can opt to drive yourself. They have a canteen which is fully stocked, and they have shops. Be aware, the stuffed animals are very cute, but a little pricey - but that is to be expected.

All in all, for the small amount that you pay to get in, I feel that it is worth the money and that it would be a great day for families, or friends.