Los Cabos Stories and Tips

Cacti Mundo Los Cabos Botanical Garden

Cacti Mundo Las Cabos Botanical Garden Photo, Los Cabos, Mexico

If you had asked me what I was hoping to do while in Mexico, I can honestly say that photographing cacti would not even have made the long list. But, believe it or not, I had a great time doing just that.

While trying to be fair and generous one morning, I foolishly said to my wife, "You choose something for us to do." She said she had read an article in a local entertainment guide about a place called Cacti Mundo and would like us to see it together. We left the resort, walked up to the road that connects the two towns of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, and caught the bus to San Jose del Cabo. We got off in town and walked to the center of town, where we found Boulevard Antonio Mijares, and proceeded south until we came to Cacti Mundo on our right. Did I mention that it was over 100°F in the shade and there wasn't any shade? Fortunately, the office/snack bar/gift shop was open and air-conditioned. We paid for the admission and drank some cool bottled water before going back outside to admire the displays of cacti and other succulents.

The whole area was set up like a wagon wheel, with the spokes being the paved walkways and the areas between the spokes being concrete planters. Each of the planters was filled with various cacti arranged in artistic designs. There were literally thousands of species of every size, shape, and color imaginable. Cacti Mundo houses many endangered species that were rescued from their original habitats all around the world. For the past 10 years, Cacti Mundo’s nurseries have been able to successfully reproduce and conserve the most important cacti collection in Mexico. I took about 200 digital pictures before my wife was able to talk me into leaving.

My suggestion to you, kind reader, is to pick a cooler day, if possible, but don't miss seeing this incredible living art show. It is well worth it.