New Ulm Stories and Tips

New Ulm, Texas Cemetery

New Ulm Cemetery  Photo, New Ulm, Texas

The New Ulm, Texas, cemetery was created in the early 1840s, located next to the first town called New Ulm (about one mile north of the current town). The original town, where the cemetery is, began moving to its’ current location about one mile south of the cemetery in 1892 in order to be near the railroad.

The cemetery is located on FM-109 on a hill that faces east. Once a year, St John Lutheran Church in New Ulm has a cemetery clean-up/decoration day when the congregation goes to the cemetery after church. A short service is held and the cemetery is ‘re-dedicated’ to the memories of those buried there.

I remember going to various funerals at this cemetery over the years when I lived in New Ulm. My mother is buried here as well as various friends I had known over time. Sometimes you need to visit your hometown cemetery to put your current life in perspective and to fondly remember those who came before.

We found several grave markers with burial dates in the mid 1800s. The earliest one I found was 1857 and was for one of the founders of New Ulm. It is still an active cemetery today.