The New Ulm Fireman’s Barbecue began in 1950 on the yards of the schoolhouse in downtown New Ulm. But due to ever increasing crowds, in 1962 they moved about two miles west of town to Fireman’s Park. This park also has a lighted baseball diamond/field and New Ulm used to sponsor a softball team.
For many years in the 1940s and 1950s, this was the only annual barbecue in this area of southeast Texas. People would come from a hundred miles away for the event. Today almost every small town in this area has annual barbecues, a tradition started by the New Ulm Volunteer Fire Department.