Sechelt Stories and Tips

Day 1: The Cycle from Langdale to Sechelt

Day One: The Cycle from Langdale to Sechelt (approximate distance from Langdale to Porpoise Bay: 32km)

Before I get started, I would like to make mention that this was my first (of hopefully many) bike trip. So if you are an experienced cyclist, then this may not be your cup of tea. According to many cycling guides to BC, they rate the trip from Langdale to Sechelt on a scale from 0-5 (zero being easy, 5 being extremely difficult) a big 0. When I think of a 0 rating, I think of a lot of flat terrain, maybe a nice paved bike path . . . it isn’t like that at all.

First off, when you exit the ferry in Langdale, you look up (and I do mean up) a monster hill. It is an incline that goes on for at least 2 km; with a fully loaded bike, it was pretty brutal. In addition to the steep incline, you are cycling along the highway (though you have a very wide paved shoulder) with no shade. Anyways, this will be the nastiest hill that you will have to encounter. For the remainder of the 27km to Sechelt, you will find that the terrain very rolling, with a gradual incline. Porpoise Bay Provincial Park is located another 5km north of Sechelt, and this last section has a couple of fairly big hills for you to contend with.

For the entire trip, you follow Highway 101. The shoulder varies from being wide, to non-existent, and in many areas completely covered in gravel. So if you feel uneasy about riding along busy roads, then you should rethink this trip. Though I am sure if you spent some time looking at a map of the area, there are other routes to take. But to be honest, I felt very safe along the highway, the drivers seemed to be very aware of cyclists, and are extremely considerate. There were many opportunities for cars to make a turn in front of me, and they waited until I passed them by.

Along the way, you will pass Gibsons (the home of Molly’s Reach for all you Beachcomber fans out there), and Robert’s Creek (where you will find private camp grounds). You really don’t see much in terms of ocean views until you reach the District of Sechelt, but you pass by country homes, giant cedar and fir trees, and beautiful rocky outcrops.