Lake Tahoe Stories and Tips

A really great adventure

View from Gondola Photo, Lake Tahoe, California

We drove nine hours to get to Lake Tahoe. The drive from Southern California was breathtaking. We stopped halfway and stayed in Lone Pine, CA. We woke up in the morning to a snow capped Mt. Whitney. We journeyed on to Lake Tahoe. It had snowed a few days earlier, but that's not why we were there. We checked into the Tahoe Season's Resort. The room was quiet, clean and comfortable.

Next morning after breakfast, we ventured out to take a tour of Lake Tahoe. We decided to drive around the lake via a side trip to Truckee and Donner. To Truckee from Lake Tahoe is not that far, 35 minutes tops...depending on the snow. We had no snow on the roads so it was a nice drive. We went to the Donner Museum run by the California Division of Forestry. What a great museum and very insightful! I was amazed at what the Donner party went through. This tour answered many of my questions.

We drove on back to the lake and picked up our route prior to our turn off. A full drive around the lake is 72 miles. So needless to say it took up most of our day. We stopped at one of the Casinos at Stateline for dinner and to try our luck.

We also took day trips on our own to Virginia City about 35 miles north. I have written a separate entry for this attraction. We also ventured to Reno about 50 miles away. It sure has changed...not the sleepy little town it once was.

We did not get a chance to ski as the slopes were not open yet. We missed it by about 4 days. Tahoe Seasons is situated right across the street from the Heavenly ski tram. The Heavenly gondola is about two miles up the highway, near stateline, which really is not that far. We did take a gondola ride up the mountain. It was $20.00 per person just for the ride. They have a halfway stop with a snackbar and gift shop. Just an FYI, it only stops on the way up. The return to the base of the mountain is with no stops. There was skiing there, but it was our last day there and we were not prepared. We had such a great time on this vacation..I am sure we will return.

Oh yes! I can't forget the Casinos...as always much to do there...trying not to lose my money (or my husband's!).

Any questions just Ask!