Prague Stories and Tips

Getting Around

The Metro Photo, Prague, Czech Republic

It’s possible to take the bus into the city centre from the airport. Buses leave from outside door F of the arrivals building, and they all terminate at a Metro station. No. 119 leaves every 10 minutes and no. 100 runs about every 30 minutes. There is just one taxi company licensed to take passengers from the airport. This is the originally named ‘Airport Cars’ and a journey into the centre will cost 650kc (£15/$22.50). This was the only taxi journey I made during my trip; we used public transport to get to the airport for our flight home and got there about 2 hours earlier than we needed to because it was so much quicker and easier than we’d expected.

Prague is a small city, and walking is always the best way to make sure you don’t miss out on anything you might want to see. However, as everyone knows, sightseeing can be a pretty tiring activity. The city has a fantastic public transport system which I found inexpensive, clean, and very easy to use, especially if you have a guide book or map with Metro stations and tram stops marked on it.

It’s advisable to buy a travel pass if you’re staying for more than a couple of days, as this will save you money and a lot of hassle buying normal tickets which only last for one hour (12kc). You can get passes for 24 hours (70kc/£1.60/$2.40), 3 days (200kc/£4.70/$7), 7 days (250kc/£5.80/$8.70) or 15 days (280kc/£6.50/$9.75), and these give you unlimited use of the Metro, trams and city buses. We definitely got value for money with these, using the Metro at least four times a day, the trams a lot and also taking a couple of buses. Normal tickets can be bought from kiosks or machines at any Metro station as well as tobacconists, and passes from major stations (ie. where lines cross) like Florenc, Mustek, Muzeum and also Hlavni Nadrazi. You're supposed to validate your pass/ticket straight away by punching the time and date onto them using the little machine things on the way to the platforms. Whilst there isn't anyone on the train checking tickets, there were a couple of occasions when I was stopped by a plain clothed inspector who asked to see my pass. If you don't have a ticket you're expected to pay a £20 fine ($30), so you've been warned.