Grand Bahama Island Stories and Tips

Lucayan National Park (Caves and Beach)

Lucayan National Park is located about fifteen miles outside of Port Lucaya. To drive there take Midshipman Road past Sharp rock Point and Gold Rock. The caves of this park are on one side of the road and the beach park is on the other. The parking is creative but there is a hard sand lot to park in. For any questions contact the Rand Nature Center for information at 809-352-5438.

Lucayan National Park is the home to a beautiful secluded beach and caves with an underground cavern system. The caverns are not open to the public but where explored by divers when they were discovered after the ground gave away and exposed the caves. The caves both have water in them water that is special, the first six feet of the waters surface is fresh water and the water below that is salt water.

The first cave has a spiral staircase leading down into the cave. Once down the stairs you stand on a wooden platform to view the water below. The cave seems very open like a large room. It has a fabulous bat-lined ceiling. The water is very clear and seeing to the bottom is possible.

The second cave on the path is a burial cave. The area has many signs with information about the skeletons in the caves water and other historical information about the site. Unlike the first cave the second cave is more closed in it has a dimly lit path through the inside. It is by no means dark but it seems more cave like. Perhaps the fact that it is the burial cave, or that the bats are a little closer, makes the cave seem a little spookier, you will have to decide for yourself when you visit them.

On our first visit my husband left me with cave memories I will never forget. He found that at one end of the big cave there is no rail on the platform, so he leaned in to feel the water, and fell in. Beautiful clear water instantly turned to muck from the bat dung. He tried to climb out quickly but the bat dung covered rocks had a different plan for him. The bats had been awakened by the noise and were flying everywhere. All I could do was cover my head and duck while laughing at him. Once he got out of the water, we ran up the stairs, got in our car and left. As we were pulling out a tour group was going down the stairs- I hope the flying bats kept their minds off the now brown water. It is forbidden to get into the water at the caves we were reminded every time we spent his cash- it never dried. The second time we went to the caves the big one was closed. We thought is his fault, but it was really bat mating season.

The flip side of the street from the caves is were the boardwalk path will leads to the beach. In my opinion the trail to the beach was a bit of a walk, however carrying my beach supplies and snorkel gear could be what made it seem longer that it was. The wooden path over a mangrove swamp has Gold Creek, a small fresh water fed stream, running underneath. Looking from the boardwalk down into the water I could see baby fish of many varieties even baby barracuda. (Gold creek does lead into the ocean in this area so avoid snorkeling were the two meet since the water gets blurry where fresh and salt water meet. This can put swimmers in danger of predators protecting their young in the nursery, predator’s bite in error in blurry water.)

Once the boardwalk gets to beach there is a place of paradise before your eyes the emerald waters meet the unspoiled miles of endless sand and a day of beach paradise awaits you. Bring a picnic lunch and spend the afternoon enjoying this fabulous beach.