The Inner City until the end of 18th century was fortified. Remains of the fortifications you can see at several points of the city. You could enter only from the two gates, Elokapu (front gate) and Hatsokapu (rear). We enter from Elokapu and through a fortified narrow passage, which passes under the symbol of Sopron, the Fire Tower, and brings us to the main square (Fo ter).
The Fire Tower was built at the end of 13th century (at least the lowest third). A splendid view oh the city, the surroundings hills and lake Fertod nearby, may be enjoyed from the roofed gallery at the top of it. It accommodated the fire watchman and his crew, who played music in the gallery and looked after the clock installed there in the 17th century. They also have general guard duties (firewatchers, warning for enemies, etc).
The Fo ter’s layout has hardly altered since the 13th century. Directly adjoining the Fire Tower is the Town Hall erected for the millennium in 1896 in eclectic style. Opposite is one of the most beautiful buildings of Sopron, the Storno house, King Mathias residence in 1482-3, originally renaissance but now baroque character with rococo ornamentation. Other medieval houses as, General house, Fabricius House, the Country Hall, the Gambrinus and Patika-haz (Apothecary house) circles the square, all of different age and styles. Some of them have pleasant cafes and restaurants.
The centre of Fo ter is dominated by the Trinity Column, erected in baroque style for the survival of the great plague of 1695-1701.
We leave Fo ter via Templom utca (Church street), and at the corner we see the gothic Franciscan church (now Benedictine), which gave place to Coronations and Diets (parliamentary sessions) in the 15th century.
Other interesting streets with old medieval houses and churches in the inner town, is Colostor utca, Uz (new) utca, Szent Gyorgy (St. George) utca and Orsolya ter with its Mary’s fountain.
In many of the medieval houses are hosted small museums with great interest.
We can leave the Inner city from the Hatsokapu at Szent Gyorgy utca or from the end of Templom utca that leads to Szechenyi ter and Varkerulet.