Sydney Stories and Tips

Climbing Above Sydney

Highlights (i.e. best things to do, memorable moments, etc.):
This was my third visit to Sydney, but my first opportunity to climb the world famous Sydney Harbour Bridge. Today the Bridge Climb seems to be the hottest attraction in town, and I can see why! I was in town with my 62-year-old father, who is afraid of heights; after a little coaxing he agreed to go. Opera House tours are passé -- these days, everyone is climbing the bridge.

Starting the climb is like going through a maze of steel, but the last hour was spectacular as we climbed to the peak and posed for pictures with the Opera House below. It was exhilerating! My dad boasts to his clients of his accomplishment. I too find myself telling people headed Down Under that they "must" do the Bridge Climb! The government must feel the same way -- the next day I was at the Opera House and looked up at the Bridge. There was a group hoisting an American flag at the top of the Bridge. As it turns out, the government was hosting families of 9/11 victims and the NYFD. The first place they took them was on the Bridge Climb.

Quick tips/suggestions :
The tour is three and a half hours long. The climb is gentle, with a slow rise and there are frequent stops along the way to learn the fascinating history and amazing triumph of human will that went into building the bridge. The first hour is for orientation and "suiting up" -- details can be found at . The cost is about $100 US and worth every penny!

Best Way to Get Around (i.e. walking, driving, taxis, public transportation etc.):
All tours start at the visitors center at 5 Cumberland Street which is in the Rocks area of Sydney. Hardly a tourist makes it to Sydney without spending at least a half a day in the Rocks area, where the original penal colony was settled. It is now full of smart shops, restaurants and hotels and is easily walkable from the Opera House.