Huatulco Stories and Tips

The Bays of Huatulco

The Bays of Huatulco
Huatulco encompasses nine bays along 35km of coastline. During our trip, we wanted to see every bay, but unfortunately, we missed a couple. This is a list of the bays starting from the east.

La Bocana
I don't think this is actually considered one of the bays, but since we sat in a restaurant on the beach, staring at the ocean, I am going to include it here. This is where a river enters the sea. There is a lagoon behind the long, wide beach. The ocean is clean and clear, with very dangerous-looking waves.

Bahìa Conejos
This is the first bay we visited. We were amazed by how clean and clear the water was; we later figured out this whole area has beautiful water. There are various beaches here. We were on one toward the middle of the bay. The water was too rough for swimming, but the other beaches might have been calmer. There is development around Bahìa Conejos, but we had the beach to ourselves.

Bahìa Tangolunda
On this bay you will find the fancy hotel zone. There is supposedly a public access road near the golf course. We just walked through one of the hotels to the beach, but unfortunately, I can't remember which one. It took a few tries to find a hotel that didn't notice we weren't guests. Don't even try to go through an all-inclusive. Like all of the other bays, the beach was nice and the water clear. There were people on the beach, but it was nowhere near crowded. This is one of the few bays accessible by public bus (van).

Bahìa Chahue
The marina is located in this bay. I was expecting a lot of development and unclean waters. I was wrong on both counts. This is one of the larger bays, and the marina only takes up a small part of it. We were the only ones around. The day we were here the water was rough but beautiful. This is one of the few bays you can get to by public bus (van).

Bahìa Santa Cruz
This is one of the more developed bays, where you will find restaurants, shops, and the boat harbor. There are two beaches; we visited both. The beach to the west is nicer. The ocean is calm enough to swim in, and the beach made of clean, smooth yellow sand. Both beaches had a fair amount of people, but the easterly one had more. Both beaches also had restaurants and establishments catering to tourists.

Bahìa El Òrgano
Somehow we totally missed this small bay, or my memory has been fogged by a mental lagoon. I have read that it is a very pleasant and secluded spot.

Bahìa El Maguey
This was my favorite bay. The waters were clean, calm, and blue. There were very few people, although we were informed that there are usually more. We ate lunch in one of the palapa restaurants. Of course, fresh seafood was the specialty. Access to the beach is by a stairway, which was no problem going down but very annoying going back up after a huge lunch.

Bahìa Cacaluta
We thought getting to this bay would be difficult. We were warned there were many dirt roads in the area and that we would get lost. We followed the signs, and when there were no signs, we stayed on the most worn road. We had no problems. Once again, we had the place to ourselves and the water was clear, clean, and beautiful. The bay is very pretty, with a small island just off shore. We walked along the yellow sand a while but never got into the water. It looked way too dangerous.

Bahìa Chachacual
We didn't even know this bay existed until we got a map from the tourism kiosk in the La Crucecita plaza. We saw no signs along the road, and we found out there is no road access. Bahìa Chachacual can only be reached by hiking in along a trail or by boat.

Bahìa San Agustin
We only took a quick peek at this bay. We had run out of time. We had hit the road again. We saw quite a few people on the beach and swimming in the ocean. There seemed to be quite a few simple thatch-roof restaurants.