Savannah Stories and Tips

Visit to Savannah

We could have spent more time in this lovely city, but given the fact that we were vacationing over the 4th of July holiday, and the fact that there was a speedboat race starting July 3, we didn't get to spend the time we would have liked. Our first trip was spent trying to find public parking. It is all by parking meters, and we were hard-pressed to find quarters as well as patience in finding long-term meters. After riding around over the cobble-stoned streets to get down to River Street, we couldn't find any empty meters. There were 2-10 hour meters. We went on a riverboat cruise on the Savannah river which was another way to see Savannah and very relaxing. We got last-minute tickets, so they must be pretty easy to get. Large ferries carry a lot of people. Afterwards we walked up and down River Street. Not everyone is the shopper that I am, so we did more browsing than anything else. We had dinner at one of the many restaurants along River Street. There were a lot of seafood restaurants, which had my vote, but not everyone in the party liked fish. So I lost out. The restaurant that we did end up at was only ordinary in my opinion. On the way out of the city, we finally found a parking garage, which would have cost us $5.00 for as long as we wanted to park. So we were in better shape for the next day's trip, especially since we now knew the road system. As it turned out, we found out during our 1st trip that none of the "civil servants" pay attention to expired parking meters after 5:30 p.m., so we took our chances and parked at a meter in town that was ready to expire. I still had my doubts. No ticket, fortunately. We made reservations for a carriage ride around the city the next morning. I called from the resort on our cell phone. I would definitely recommend it. It is a great way to see the city. Very relaxing, but we were in the back of the carriage (no horse smell), so it was rather difficult to hear the "driver" (who was a transplanted Nebraskan). Our carriage ride started at 5:00 p.m. and lasted just over an hour We had a good time, especially since the heat of the day had lessened. We very much enjoyed the sights and the stories that we were told about the city. If you do happen to get a chance to go to Savannah, make sure you read the book, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" by John Berendt. It will give you a better feel for the city and its people. It is a true story of a murder at the Mercer House in Savannah, GA, but only a small portion of the book is about the actual happening. The Hyatt Regency, on Bay Street, seems to be a meeting point for many of the tours. It is next to the City Hall, which has a beautiful gold dome.