Germany Stories and Tips

Genealogy

Highway sign Photo, Germany, Europe

My wife’s interest in genealogy has elevated our interest in different parts of the world and encouraged us to expand our travel plans to include locations important to my family history, primarily returning to this ancestral homeland in Germany.

As we traveled through this section of Germany, I noted the strong resemblance of this geographic area to the same section of Pennsylvania where the Heimbach family settled back in the 1700s. I could envision my ancestors’ assessment of the land in Pennsylvania, with a positive reaction to an area of such familiarity and possible comfort. I have a better appreciation for the strength and fortitude of my ancestors to move from this community to unknown challenges in a land across the ocean.

For those of you who have genealogy information showing the roots of your ancestors, I would encourage you to seek out and visit these towns. Walk the streets of your many-times great-grandparents and see if you feel the connection!

Most of the following information on my family tree was made available from the hard work and efforts of several of my distant cousins. I am truly grateful to them for sharing all these genealogy facts with me. Johannes Heimbach (b. ca. 1680) married Anna Maria Angelica (b. ca. 1685) ca 1703. Records of Johannes and Anna Maria Angelica are located in the Catholische Bischofstum Archiv in Trier, Germany. Trier (in the westernmost part of Germany, close to Luxembourg) is the oldest city in Germany, and is the German center of the Catholic faith. The records in Trier cover Catholic parishes in the Palatine. Their sixth child, Joes Petrus (Johannes Peter), christened on 04 Sep 1714, married Mary Louisa (b. ca. 1718 and d. ca. 1746/47) ca. 1735 and married Mary Elizabeth ca. 1747. Peter and his first wife, Maria Louisa, had five children, who were born in Germany where they lived in Heimbach an der Nahe, a small village a few kilometers to the west of Baumholder, where they attended church. Records of this family are found in the Baumholder Lutheran Kirchenbuch, located today in the Evangelische Archiv in Boppard, Germany. Peter Heimbach II (1738) married Mary Barbara ? ca. 1764. Henrich (Henry) Heimbach (b. 1769, d. 1823) married Anna Catherine Haines(b. 1774, d. 1860) in 1795. Henry Heimbach, Jr. (b. 1804, d. 1884) married Elizabeth Hook (b. 1809, d. 1860) ca. 1828. William Nathan Heimbach (b. 1840, d. 1907) married Ellen Amanda Thomas (b. 1839, d. 1914) in 1868. Forest Clay Heimbach (d. 1959) married Mary Caroline Roush (b. 1879, d. 1951) in 1897 John Isaac Heimbach (living) married Mildred Florene Quillen (b. 1921, d. 1986) in 1942. Jeffrey Randolph Heimbach (living) married Lynda Hermes (living) in 1980.

A thought occurred to me after we left the town of Heimbach: what if my ancestors had been scoundrels? I didn’t think about the possible treatment if the town had passed down dreadful stories about Heimbach men from generations past! I had just assumed we would have a positive welcome, and fortunately we did!