Ambergris Caye Stories and Tips

The Cayes of Belize---A Basic Feel for the Area

This was an incredible trip. I did go alone - one of my friends was unable to get the time off work. Never once did I feel unsafe: everyone was very friendly and helpful. The Seven Seas Resort was a three story hotel with around 18 rooms. It was painted white, with bright pink trimwork, and just across the two lane unpaved beach road. There was a pier across the street where I was picked up for my snorkeling tour, and the water was shallow enough that you could walk out past the pier. The reef was visible from my porch, and at night you could hear the sound of the waves breaking. Someone was always coming by with fresh fruit or seafood, kids came by with jewelry they had made. With a golf cart rental, I went into town for meals, shopping, or siteseeing and pictures. There was a bakery one block from my hotel, where I got pastries and bread, and Dr. Pepper! Mostly all I saw was Coke. There was a stand on the block behind my hotel; the guy was kind enough to slice fresh pineapples for me. A local hamburger joint provided one or two burgers, so I didn't feel like I was so far from home. The seafood was so fresh - shrimp, crab, and lobster was in season. I highly recommend a trip to the cayes off of Belize, especially for families. There is plenty of space for kids to roam around in, the water is beautiful, and there many water activities for everyone.