Bali Stories and Tips

A Walk in Tuban

Evening Started Here Photo, Bali, Indonesia

Walking is almost always the best way to immerse oneself in a culture when one is overseas. Luckily, both Chuck and I love to walk and it is hard for me sometimes to go past a shop or gallery on a newly found street. I usually want to stop everywhere!

We had just finished dinner at the Japanese restaurant, and started to walk back towards the hotel. We were still quite a bit away, and suddenly, what usually is an eyesore became a welcome sight: Dunkin’ Donuts. Unlike the chain back in the states, this one was in the center of the sidewalk, kiosk style. Much more practical, in my estimation. I got ice cream for Chuck and an iced latté for myself. This would keep things cool for a while. There were many people out walking, a mixture of tourists, natives and undoubtedly some expats. A lot of Australians now call Bali home.

After the ice cream and iced coffee, Chuck and I went into a CD store, and I’m sorry, I don’t recall the name. We wanted to get something native so that we could add it to our collection of world music back home. Since we were the only customers in the store, the two young people who staffed the shop were very accommodating by having us listen to many different sounds. I definitely wanted something that would capture that plaintive, evocative type sound that could be heard here and there. We narrowed it down to 2 cd’s after having spent a bit less than an hour there.

Soon after, we saw some very charming horse drawn carriages and almost immediately, Chuck read my mind: the last time we had been in one of these carriages was during a short trip to Montreal, and it had been exhilarating. So, we hailed him. Getting in was more of a challenge than we imagined and getting out was also difficult. It’s sort of a boxy thing which you need to climb into; but once you’re in, it’s fine.

On our way to the Bali Hai, we were spotted by some of our breakfast and tour companions who were also strolling on the streets. It was a fun way to end the evening.