Iceland Stories and Tips

Wonders of South Eastern Iceland

South Eastern Iceland Photo, Iceland, Europe

On day three of our seven-day whirlwind drive around the Icelandic island, I woke up with a very stiff neck. I had gone to bed (in the car) at about 4am the day before, as I stood up to finish reading the entire guidebook and planning the route, overnight stops and driving schedule. Also, I remember challenging the sun to see who would relent and head to bed first. Obviously, I lost the challenge, as the sun simply started to get brighter at around 3am, an hour before I dozed off. We had a hearty breakfast in the car: Kelloggs multigrain fruit bars, oatmeal cookies and coffee from the previous morning, kept surprisingly warm in my flask.

Temperatures in Southeastern Iceland are more conducive to traveling, and we frequently met couples of cyclists along the Ring Road. Very high waterfalls flow freely in this landscape, with so many of them around that there simply aren't names for all of them.

On this day, we left Holaskjol in the Fjallabak Nature Reserve and headed out eastward into Skaftafell National Park, then passing by Jokulsarlon (and stopping for 300 photos!) and going towards charming Hofn.