Sydney Stories and Tips

Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb

Climbers waving Photo, Sydney, Australia

There's no cooler way to get great views of the city than from the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

The climb takes you along the lower walkway of the bridge, under the cars, to four sets of steep ladders, where you climb up between lanes seven and eight of the traffic. That's the hard part. From there, it's easy steps up the top part of the bridge's arch. Being not exactly in the best physical condition of my life, I had expected to be in a lot of pain after the bridge climb. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.

All along the climb, our guide pointed out famous Sydney sights and celebrity homes and told stories from when the bridge was built. She also takes several pictures of the entire group, individually and of the group travelling together.

Prior to the climb, you must take a breathalyzer test and go through a metal detector. Hairclips and watches must be removed and you are not allowed to bring your camera. They don't allow anything that could be dropped on the eight lanes of traffic below. Everyone must wear the ugly gray boiler suits and a harness is fitted around your waist. You are given everything you need - glasses straps, a hat, scrunchies, a fleece jacket, a rain jacket, and a radio, which all clip onto the boiler suit. It was partly cloudy when we started up the bridge, but by the time we started back down, the wind came up and the rain set in. We all quickly unpacked the fleeces and rain jackets strapped to our belts and scrambled to stay warm and dry.

This was by far the highlight of my trip to Sydney. I would recommend it to anyone. At A$195, it's a bit pricey but completely worth it.