St. Vincent and the Grenadines Stories and Tips

Different islands/Different personalities: Bequia

Bequian Fish Market Photo, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Caribbean

Bequia is a short hop from St. Vincent. Those not on a boat can fly directly to Bequia or take a ferry from St. Vincent. The first ferry leaves St. Vincent about 6:30 A.M. and the last ferry returns to St. Vincent from Bequia at about 7 P.M. It will prove a good day trip. Bequia is only 7.5 square miles and has the atmosphere of a small fishing village. Historically, the islanders were active whalers, but this is no longer the case. An island tour, which will take 2 1/2 to 3 hours at a leisurely pace, can be had from any of a number of taxi drivers who will accost you as you pass. Some of these have recently banded together and call themselves the "A-team." They have standardized prices and print their own mini-tour pamphlet. They charge $20 U.S. per hour for 1-4 people. Our "A-team" driver proved very informative about the island, but be aware that a "taxi" here means that you will be riding on a bench in the back of a pick-up truck for the most part. I recommend against visiting the much-touted turtle sanctuary during your tour. Our driver stopped at it, and it seemed to be nothing but a large number of turtles, housed in individual compartments. The price of entry was $5 U.S., which seemed excessive for the small cage-type building at which we had stopped. Our driver did not seem to be overly enthusiastic about it either and did not try to convince us when I decided not to enter the sanctuary.

I found that Bequia had the best-priced souvenirs of all the Grenadines. My husband was delighted to find a t-shirt he loved was only $10 U.S. at Melinda's. On other islands, the same t-shirt was $20 U.S. Noah's Arkade, which is right on the waterfront, has great prices on Caribbean crafts and spices. I bought a great set of "fish" coasters there for my Caribbean-motif gameroom for $6 U.S.

There is a reef extending offshore between Princess Margaret Beach and Lower Bay Beach in Admiralty Bay that makes for some nice snorkeling, though not as good as what you will find elsewhere in the Grenadines.

If you're sailing, we found that the best anchorage is between Princess Margaret Beach and Lower Bay Beach. It's convenient to everything. Snorkle the anchor, though. When we anchored here on our way back, we found that our anchor rode was twisted around a huge log and had to do some manuveuring to get it off.