Den Haag/The Hague Stories and Tips

Further Information

On my first visit, I stayed close to Prinsesgraat, a street with many cool design-type stores. I bought alot of cool desk accessories and almost bought a pair of really nice glasses. On my second visit this past October, I stayed on Molenstraat, a picturesque street with old buildings and pedestrian-only streets. You are close to the Queen's palace and are right in the center of the old part of town. On weekend mornings, I was woken up by the horse-drawn organ pullling down the street towards the shopping area. These carriages are so much fun to watch, and kids go crazy over them! There are also horse-drawn carriages delivering packages. During Christmas season, they get all dressed up! Hema Department Store-I love this place. The prices are reasonable and they have utilitarian designs, especially in the home department. Simple cotton bedding, kitchen utensils, I bought a ton of cool plastic placemats and a cotton duvet. Be aware that European bed sizes differ-they tend to be shorter and wider than American bed sizes. They also have Hema is Belgium as well. With the exchange rate as it stands, I thought the prices in Belgian francs was slightly lower. While I was there, alot of restoration work was being done within the Old Town center. Blocks of older buildings were being restored and turned into "Galleria" type spaces and up-scale stores are expected to move in by the holiday season.