Long Beach Stories and Tips

Anime Expo 2001 - Day One

Scott and Three of His Angels Photo, Long Beach, California

5th July 2001

The first day of Anime Expo!

We woke up way too early and dressed in our Chinese dresses and went to meet Scott, Nickey and Heidi down at their room. The two girls, Trisha and I were going to be 'Scott's Angels'! After waiting around and finishing getting ready and putting on makeup and getting our new badges, we all escorted this year's Guest of Honour - Scott Frazier - from the Hyatt to the Convention Centre.

I swear there was some moron telling us and Scott that we had to walk all the way around to the front (rather than getting in the glass door near the eatery and dealers' room) because they didn't accept the 'Guest of Honour' badge that Scott had! Imagine if one of the Japanese guests went that way, and was turned back and forced to walk all the way around the front of the convention center (passed all the fanboys) to get in to go to the Green Room!

Thank goodness we were walking with Dana, who had both a Dealer and Industry badge, and so we managed to get in. Though I still think it's pretty dumb to not let GoH in the closest entry from their hotel, and make them go past the lineup of fanboys, who might mob them. :p

But I digress. We ended up getting in and going to the Green Room, where all the guests waited before the Opening Ceremony started. I met a few of the Japanese Guests of Honour and even had Inoue's daughter want to come and sit on my lap for a photo. The little girl was soooooooooo cute! ^_^

Soon, everyone trooped out to find our seats. I ended up sitting in the front row next to Trisha and Yu Watase (who coughed during the whole opening ceremonies till she went on stage. She probably continued coughing up on stage. I asked her 'daijoubu desu ka?', and she looked around as if I was talking to someone on the other side of her. How odd... I think she eventually nodded, but didn't speak a word to me. Kinda rude, but oh well. What can you do?)

When it was Scott's turn to go on stage, Trisha, myself and Heidi (Nickey went off to sit in the audience and take photos. Unfortunately the photos didn't turn out, and I didn't ask Toshi to take photos with my camera - he was busy working, doing looking after Watase). If you do have a photo of us on stage, please e-mail me a copy at kunoichi@thekeep.org! We girls escorted him on stage and poses to a (not-quite-standing) ovation from the audience!

What a rush. ^_^

I've found two sites mentioning this:

Other Guests of Honor were announced, including Mr Scott Frasier who was accompanied onto the stage by three very beautiful women (one of which was his wife), who posed with him on the steps to the stage before he continued to his seat on stage accompanied only by his wife.

Heh... they've since changed it to something that is obviously not made up from fairy-tale land! Trisha isn't married to Scott!!! ^^;;; Heidi and I watched the rest of the opening ceremony together, then when the other two came back, at the end, we all headed off to have lunch at the eatery in the Convention Centre. As we sat and ate (waiting for Nickey), we watched all the people queueing up to get into the dealer's room, which was rather entertaining I must say. When the coast was clear, we all went and (still dressed in heels and Chineses dresses) headed into the dealer's room ourselves, without having to queue.

But a word of advice - heels on the hard, concrete floor of the dealer's room aren't a good combination. :p

Having had enough with the walking, Trisha and I headed down to the spa (after picking up Jono on the way - he slept in and didn't go to the opening ceremony, the bad boy!). No Anime Expo is complete without a spa! It wasn't the Hilton spas, but it was better than the Disneyland Hotel 'tepid tub'!

While in the spa, I was hit on by the youngest of Robert J. Woodhead and Natsumi Ueki's sons (from AnimEigo). Alexander, I believe. He was so cute, though... only five years old, and already hitting on women! ^_^

We met up with others - Theo, Tony and his girlfriend, Matt and Heidi, Brad, Marco, Kevin (Studio Ironcat) and Toshi. People came and went, but most of us ended up deciding to go to dinner together, after getting changed that evening.

Trisha and Brad led us to Hooters.

I found out that the people who frequent that establishment do not go for the food.

That night was the first night of the 'Astro Lounge' - it wasn't the 'Ultra Lounge' from last year, but it wasn't too bad. The room was much smaller, and there were a number of people I didn't know... but it was good to meet up with most of my friends there, hang out chatting, drinking and having fun! ^_^

It was probably 6am by the time I got to sleep...