Loch Ness Stories and Tips

Rannoch Moor area

Rannoch Moor Photo, Loch Ness, Scotland

Rannoch Moor is a desolate forbidding place that I found amazingly beautiful. On the return trip to Edinburgh, we explored a bit of the area. I knew several movies had been filmed on the moor such as Rob Roy and Monty Python and the Holy Grail but I had no idea how much the land "gets" to you. We drove the area during light rain, which made it misty and overcast. It seemed wild and sombre. I had read that the area has lochs, inlets, sandy bays and meadows of purple heather. I didn't see evidence of this but I would not have traded my scenery for the world. The moor covers over 20 miles and can be almost a 1000 feet deep with peat and bog sitting on a bed of granite. It is home to the Continental Divide of Scotland , the Watershed of Central Scotland. Rivers flow to the Atlantic in the west and to the North Sea on the east side. Upon our arrival back in Edinburgh, I started doing some hotel research of the moor area since I intend to come spend some time here during the summer months hopefully.