Church of St. Francis of Assisi
Built at the beginning of 1766, by the Third Order of St. Francis of Assisi, the first order created in Ouro Preto. Masterpiece of Aleijadinho, who designed the plans and the outline of the facade. Paintings of Manuel da Costa Ataide.
Main Church of Our Lady of Pilar
Erected around the chapel in the first years of the seventeenth century, under the invocation of Our Lady of Pilar. Inaugurated in 1733, in spite of its state of incompletion. Plan attributed to the architect Pedro Gomes Chaves.
Eucharistic Triumph - In 1733 the Church of Pilar becomes a tribute to God for the wealth which he distributed on earth. In its construction 400kg of gold is used to re-cover the carved wood of the altars. The Portuguese master, Francisco Xavier de Brito inaugurates the Don Juan V style, on the high altar. On completion of the new main church a baroque festival called Eucharistic Triumph registers the enthusiasm of Villa Rica. The Portuguese are concentrated next to Pilar. On the other side of the city, the chapel of the Pioneers, Antônio Dias is transformed with the imposing structure of Our Lady of Conception, designed by the master Manuel Francisco Lisboa, father of Aleijadinho.
Church of Mercies and Pardons (Mercies of Below)
Construction ended in 1727. Rebuilt in the middle of the XIX century. Style of the original great chapel of Aleijadinho.
Saint Ifigenia Church (Our Lady of the Blacks of the Head of the Cross)
Construction dates from 1720 to 1785. Legend has it that it was erected by Chico Rei and his tribe with the gold recovered from the Encardideira mine. Carving of Manoel Francisco Lisboa.
Main Church of Our Lady of Conception of Antonio Dias.
Construction began in 1727 and ended in 1746, on the former site of the Chapel of Our Lady of Conception, built by Antônio Dias in 1699. Plan and construction of Manoel Francisco Lisboa, the Aleijadinho's father.
Church of Good Jesus of Matozinhos (St. Michael and Souls)
From the book opened and countersigned by Tomas Antonio Gonzaga in 1785, it is known that the chapel was dedicated to the Very Saintly Hearts of Jesus, Mary, Joseph, Senhor dos Matosinhos and St. Michael and Souls. Frontispiece by Aleijadinho and paintings by Ataide.
Church of Our Lady of the Rosary
The church replaced the former chapel, dated from 1709, in which, from 1731 to 1733 the Saintly Sacrament of the Parish was kept, during the construction of the Main Church of Our Lady of Pilar. The circular design is the high point of the Baroque architecture in Minas Gerais. Architect of the plan in intersecting ovals unknown. Design of the frontispiece and gable attributed to Manuel Francisco de Araujo.
Church of St. Francis of Paul
Built from 1804 to 1898. It is the most recent construction in Ouro Preto, whose plan, designed by Sargeant Major Francisco Machado da Cruz, remained practically unaltered since its completion. Panoramic view of the city.
St. Joseph's Church
Construction began after 1752, being completed only after 1811. The original chapel was restored in 1730. The designs of the panel and great chapel of the tower, are those of Aleijadinho, who was Judge of the Brotherhood.
Church of Our Lady of Carmel
Built in 1766. Project of Manoel Francisco Lisboa, previously modified by Antonio Francisco Lisboa. Before 1766 a chapel was erected for the devotees of Saint Quiteria.
Church of Mercies and Blessings (Mercies of Above)
Construction began in 1733, replacing the existing structure in the crown. On completion, the facade was modified to give way to the central tower, work of the master Manuel Francisco de Araujo.