The development of a city cannot happen without transportation and the River Douro was an obstacle that was only surpassed with the technical progress of the XIX Century. After the Ponte (bridge) das Barcas (1806) and the Ponte Pênsil (1842), in 1877 was built the Ponte Dona Maria, that takes the train from Vila Nova de Gaia to Campanhã. In 1886 is inaugurated the Ponte D. Luis, of Gustav Eiffel. In 1963 The Ponte da Arrabida was open to traffic and, finally in 1992 Edgar Cardoso finishes the construction of the Ponte S. João, that substitutes Ponte Dona Maria in its railway link to Oporto.
In the beginning of the XX Century, the establishment of the naval port in Leixões, Matosinhos was vital to the abandonment of the fluvial port.