Water from the natural spring let Mormon pioneers, Native Indians, and early explorers to be able to survive in a harsh desert environment. There is evidence that the area around the springs has been inhabited for at least 1,000 years. Mormon pioneers brought cattle to the area in the 1860s, and a fort was built over the main spring. They named the fort Winsor Castle, and a large cattle-ranching operation was established. People traveling across the Arizona Strip would stop for rest and supplies. From 1880 to1890, it served as a refuge for the Mormon polygamists. John Wesley Powell stopped here in his search for the three men that had separated from his expedition. The Paiutes originally in the area were chased into the desert by raiding Indian tribes, which had learned the value of slave trading by the white man. Many of their tribe members perished from lack of water and food. The Mormons basically let them alone, only to later take them into their homes to be raised in their religion if they wanted food, shelter, and clothing. The monument now sits within the reservation and near the Paiute town of Moccasin.