Moundsville Stories and Tips

Another area attraction (we did not have time to see)

The former West Virginia State Penitentiary 818 Jefferson Avenue Moundsville, West Virginia 304-845-6200 The former West Virginia State Penitentiary was the second public building constructed by the newly formed state of West Virginia after the civil war. Tours are now available to the public. When we were there for the third weekend in October, tours were only running at 10, 2, and 4. Unfortunately, these times didn’t work out for us. If you are interested in touring the penitentiary, call ahead for tour times to avoid disappointment.

Even though we were unable to take the tour, we enjoyed just driving around the impressive structure. We couldn't believe how many homes bordered the penitentiary property. I'll bet those people were glad when the penitentiary closed!

During the month of October, the penitentiary is the site of the Dungeon of Horrors Haunted House in the evenings. My husband and I have an acquaintance that drove down from Pittsburgh just to tour the haunted house and said it was well worth the trip.