Sharm el-Sheikh Stories and Tips

Diving in Sharm El Sheikh

I only got in one day of Scuba diving in Sharm El Sheikh, but it was worth all the effort, and a taster of what a couple of weeks here could be like. It was definitely one of the highlights of this trip and the diving here is out of this world. It's beyond words to describe; it is so wonderful. It was so far beyond my expectations, that I feel lucky to have done it.

I was able to do 3 dives this day, and two of the dives I was lucky to have our divemaster, Chris, from New Zealand as my personal guide. The other divers were old pros, and I was the new diver, so he decided to stick close to me, and I jumped at the chance to have one-on-one instruction. I am still such a new diver that I did need help with my buoyancy here, so it was nice to have him nearby. You have to be so careful not to touch anything, and not let any of your equipment dangle or touch bottom. With so many divers coming here, it is so important that no one disturbs even one piece of coral.

I cannot even begin to describe the coral and fish with any accuracy, but I saw fan coral twice as big as me, brain coral the size of a small car, it seemed, and lionfish of all colors hiding in the coral. We saw plenty of eels, and the coral was all colors: red, blue, yellow, green. At one point you can look down the wall of coral and not see the bottom. You have no idea how massive this is and you can't see where the coral ends. It's like visiting another world, and it was so worth all the effort I put in getting my certification before I left California.