Luxembourg Stories and Tips

Ardennes Region

Clervaux Photo, Luxembourg, Europe

This region, in the north of the country, is filled with lush green forests and hills. It’s pretty rural and with public transportation, I spent a fair bit of time waiting for connections.

Many of the famous battles during the Battle of the Bulge happened here and areas like Diekirch, Ettlebruck and Nothum pay tribute to the thousands of men who fought and died here.

My interest was in a more romantic vein and I nicknamed the Ardennes "Castle Country" because there were a number of little towns like Wiltz, Vianden and Clervaux that had centuries old castles to explore.

My favourite was Vianden with its castle which was built between the 11th and 14th centuries. The town itself was filled with interesting little shops and restaurants scattered below the castle but the most fun I had was getting to the castle via the chair lift that soared high above the River Our and provided panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.

The town of Clervaux was very easy to get to from Luxembourg City via train and the walk to the castle took about 20 minutes from the station. Clervaux seemed larger and more commercial than Vianden and was only about 1/2 hour ride from the Belgian border. Unlike Vianden, much of the castle was closed to visitors but the museums and photographic displays inside were worth a visit.

From a distance, Bourscheid Castle with its six turrets looks like a place where Sleeping Beauty would be waiting for her prince. The castle was originally built in the 10th century and enlarged in later years.

I didn't get to see everything I wanted so hopefully, I’ll get to Wiltz on my next trip to explore its castle and surrounding forests.

The Ardennes seemed to be the area of Luxembourg that was least touched by time and an extremely scenic and relaxing area to visit. Next time, I'll rent a car which will make sightseeing in the area much easier.