England Stories and Tips

Johnr

Going to the UK? Haven't a clue as to where to stay? Here is an excellent resource.

I go abroad once a year, and I plan my trips months and months in advance.

The system of driving from village to village and taking pot luck works for some friends of mine, but not for me.

I have to know well in advance precisely where I am going to lay my head ahead of time.

An excellent way to find accommodations in the UK is to use the services of Infotel:

Their web site is easy to use - merely enter a city, town or village, and you will be shown a selection of hotels and bed and breakfasts. Click on one of the hotel names and you will find more information - sometimes even pictures of the guest rooms, public areas of the hotel or whatever.

Infotel has negotiated rates which are generally below the rack rate, and it can all be handled over the internet without having to interface with a live person.

Confirmations are sent to you by e-mail.

I have used the service in advance of three successive trips to the UK and have had no problems.

They also keep you posted as to changes in the hotel status, ie., the B & B we had selected in Windsor a couple of years back closed its doors a couple of months before we departed. Infotel sent us an e-mail notification, along with suggestions for alternative accommodations.